Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Powerlifting Update

My first powerlifting meet was Saturday the 6th. in San Diego. It was the California State games. I'm pleased to say that I finished 3rd. This is out of 4 mind you, but I did beat someone. For those that don't know and care to, powerlifting is 3 lifts, Squat, Bench Press, and Deadlift. In a meet we get 3 attempts at each to put up our best numbers. The meet went like this:
First up is the squat. My first attempt was 160kg (352 lbs). I lifted this one without much problems. Next up Max and I decided to move the weight to 172.5kg (379.5 lbs). I missed. The spotters had to save my ass. Lucky for me they were on the spot. Next lift, my last attempt the weight stayed the same, 172.5kg. I squatted it fine, stepped forward too early to start moving the weight to the rack, and was called a "No lift" by the 2 of the 3 judges. Real bummer. I was not happy to say the least. Final weight - 160kg (352 lbs)

Next up was bench. Warm up went great, felt strong and ready to go. Opening attempt was 112kg (246.2 lbs), went up no problems. Second attempt, 120kg (264 lbs) again, no problems. Third attempt, 125kg (275 lbs), nothing to it. I was happy with these three. To come back from missing 2 squats was a interesting, my mind kept wanting to replay the events, to draw my attention to them. Max was a good reminder to let go, focus on the present situation. 

After the bench was deadlift. My back was killing me. I spent all possible moments trying to manage it. My fear was that I would let a non-injury pull me out of the event. Everyone has pain at these things, everyone is uncomfortable and tired come the deadlift and I was no exception. It's always something to overcome. I decided to lower my opener from 197.5 (434.5) down to 187.5 (412.5 lbs). It's not that much, but in the moment, I wanted to confidence more than a big number. Got it. Went up smooth and easy, I could have stayed with 197.5, but who knew? Next lift was 197.5, no struggle there. At the top of the lift, I felt the bar start to slip out of my right hand and all I could think was, "don't drop this fucking bar, you picked it up already!" Got the judges command to drop and I was quick to do so. Next and last lift of the day. I felt a sense of fear. I couldn't see the board when I was supposed to go, didn't know how much weight Max had decided to put on there for me, I started to panic a bit, but I was in. I had decided I was going to lift the bar no matter what. I found out I was lifting 207.5kg (456.5 lbs) and I had time to relax still. When it came time to lift, I was ready to be done, it was hard to keep my focus on doing the task before I started celebrating my first competition. When I walked out, I could see everyone looking at me, but the only thought I had was pulling and grinding that bar up no matter what. Two steps towards the platform and my vision shrunk to only the bar, maybe even only a few feet of the bar a little wider then my hands. I could faintly hear people and see the judge, couple breaths and I was ready to go. Bar went up without too much struggle and I felt a huge sense of relief, I was done, I finished it.

First of what I hope is many Powerlifting meets in the bag. 3rd place too. In the end I totalled 492.5kg (1,083.5 lbs) which quite honestly isn't much in the scheme of things, but I'm happy to be in the game at all. I'll have to post the pics and video's on here when I get them. 

Squat
1. 160kg
2. 172.5kg (miss)
3. 172.5kg (1/3 miss by decision)

Bench
1. 112.5 kg
2. 120 kg
3. 125 kg

Deadlift
1. 187.5 kg
2. 197.5 kg
3. 207.5 kg

Total - 492.5kg 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stephen's shared items